Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where is hip hop going?

                    hip hop
I had a discussion the other day where we were talking about hip hop and one of my co-workers shall remain nameless said rappers such as soulja boy were hip hop artist. Me being the person I am definitely took offense to this statement. To me hip hop is like a family you can't just pop up with a few hot songs and be consider hip hop. What soulja boy does isn't hip hop to me his background has no hip hop history in it. Sure the culture of hip hop has been influenced by dance or vice versa but soulja boy isn't an hip hop artist he to me is a rap entertainer. He is just a broad description of a rapper. You have rap then you have it's sub categories such as down south rap,gangsta rap, etc. And there are many different definitions of hip hop but I will never consider him hip hop never. For that matter neither would gucci or waka.  To me a hip hop artist would still do this even if the pay off wasn't as huge I bet none of them Niggas would be doing this if they weren't getting paid they don't have a heart for this music that's not hip hop. What do you consider to be hip hop or how do you define hip hop music and it's culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment